Your class will discover the basics of electrical engineering as they experiment with building a basic circuit to test whether various materials are conductors or not.
Basic electrical components like wires, lights, resistors, and microchips are the building blocks that make up all electronics.
"I want to collect all the Pocket Pets!"
Watch Class Movie
Lab Prep Movie
Lab sheet & activites
- Koa - "Holes in the Rocks"
- 1 Maggie Magnifying Glass per child
Running the Lab Activity:
1. Give each student a Rock and a Maggie Magnifier and let them search their sample for evidence of animal homes.
2. As they discover the critter homes they can cut and color the corresponding species POCKETPet cards.
(Give students 30 to 40 minutes of observation time to observe and share and exchange multiple rock samples)
Sample Identification Key
Display on Whiteboard During Lab
Find all these little guys on your rocks!
Lacy Crust Bryozoan
Tube Worm Home
Dexiospira Tube Worm Home
Sand Mason Tube Worm Home
Scaly Tube Snail Home
Students observe animal homes in ocean rocks with Maggie Magnifying glass and compare the diversity of animals in the tide pool habitat
In Class Movie
*Extra Activity* Keep the excitement going.
Art and Language Arts
POCKETPet Field Pocket Book
Watch your students get motivated to learn science with POCKETPets
Simply staple 3 sandwich bags together to make a POCKETBook
2nd graders go bonkers for POCKETPets! Watch your class attack this language arts writing assignment on a POCKETBook with excitement as they create science journal entries about the animal homes they found on their lab rocks.
Build motor skills, writing skills and harbor creative expression. Bring this fun activity to your classroom.
Pocket Book Activity Illustrations
Pocket Book Materials:
- 3 brown paper sandwich bags per student
- Print one "Book Activity Illustration" per student
Pocket Book Activity:
1. Give each student a stapled Pocket Booklet.
2. Allow students to write a field journal entry for 4 or 5 Pocket Pets. They can record their observations and learnings or lab experience .
3. Color and decorate an illustration for each journal entry page
4. Keep POCKETPet Cards in PocketBook Pages